Saturday, March 6, 2010

Today

Hello, internet. This is Trishelle. And this is what I did today.

I'm currently taking a Printmaking 2 class. It's pretty great. We needed an edition of 6 0n this piece, and I finished printing them this afternoon. One of the nice things about Snow is that we have 24 access to all the studios as art majors. So from before noon until about 7:30 this evening, I was printing nonstop. Saturdays are good workdays.
A couple of papers tore when I was printing the wood matrix (the color under everything), but only one of them made me upset, since the second time it happened it was practically as soon as I touched the barren to the paper, so there wasn't too much time wasted. I also managed to get in one print of the keyblock alone before heading out.
A roommate was in a thing at 8, so I went to support her, and didn't have time
to pull an extra proof with the woodblock. I'm really slow at printing by hand. I kept eying the printing press, wishing I could use it.
I really like the keyblock on this one. I may do a different edition of it, seeing as I really dig the keyblock but don't care too much for the wood. All the bras, the sort of horror of it all. You can tell the girl is a complete stick, too, which was important. It's meant to be a sort of self portrait of me at a young age. I had the grandma glasses, and I had no boobs.
Next, we have close ups and progress shots. Yay.

















































The back of the rice paper when I started printing the keyblock was really pretty. I was mostly wishing I didn't have to mess with the wood during this print, but this little visual, with the wood grain making up most everything, made the whole process worth it.
































This is an older photograph, but I figure I'll put it in here so you can see one of the matrices. My mug and it's hot cocoa are in the way, but the keyblock is being carved on the side there. The keyblock was done on sintra, which is slippery, but with the right tools it's like carving into butter. I spent that entire night, 12 hours straight, carving the thing. And it still wasn't quite done after that. I spent at least 20 hours on the keyblock carving alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment