Thursday, March 18, 2010

Seattle

I just drew a little autobiographical comic. It covered the entire front and back of a sheet of paper, whereas they usually take up two lines of panels or so for me. It missed some stuff. So, I have discovered, there is no way on earth I can cover everything I did in Seattle in one blog post. The highlight was ComiCon, and that's kinda been covered. But I know that I have way too much to talk about to get to all of it, so I'll just cover a few things.

(lots of pictures and words after the jump)






This was the view from my room in the hotel.










Our first day we went to the Seattle Art Museum, where pictures aren't allowed. We saw some Warhol stuff, there was a Lichtenstein piece, and a couple of Nick Cave's soundsuits, among other things. The two pieces I was impressed by enough to write down were Leaves by Gloria Pelyarre and Shroud by Dan Webb (which I found on Google and put to the left).

After that we spent some time in Pike's Place, and I went to a comic book store, where I got a Watchmen pin and Jeffrey Brown's newest book Funny Misshapen Body. I finished it yesterday. My friend Gavin, who is quite possibly the only person who reads this blog, asked me to do a review of some comics that I got, so I'll probably start with that one. I could easily do a post about how much I love that book.



That night there was a gallery stroll in the neighborhood by our hotel. Most of the galleries were fairly forgettable, and there was at least one that was terrifying for how awful it was, but there were a couple of really neat galleries. One of the good ones was the Roq le Rue. Seeing Kris Kuksi's "Nomad" (pictured left) in real life made my jaw drop. There isn't a bad piece in the gallery. If you're in Seattle, go see this show while it's up. You won't regret it.




The other awesome place was the Hotel Hostel. The idea is to have artists live there, and make their rooms reflect that. And my I just say, Holy Crap. It's incredible. Go explore their website, to get a better idea of things: http://www.hostelseattle.com/city_hostel_seattle

















The next day started with Frye Art museum. No pictures from there, either. The only piece I really loved there was David McGranaghan's self portrait. It had a circular format, and looked like it must be bulging out at the middle.

The rest of the day was spent in Pioneer Square. Adam Larsen, our Printmaking and drawing professor, loves going antique shopping, and most of us followed him into an antique store when we first got to the area. I got some fancy clip on earrings. I haven't had earrings in my life unless you count the shiny sticker ones I wore when I was just a wee thing.


We did go to a few galleries in that area. There was one that had a ton of prints, and I was with two of the professors, and while I was there they went through a ton of Carol Wax pieces, trying to decide on one to buy. That woman blows my mind, and I've never even done a mezzotint. I had to Google the picture again, but they were thinking about getting this print on your left. I hope they do. It's so beautiful.




One of the cool things at another gallery were these kinetic sculptures. They were done by someone named Casy Curan. Simple mechanics, but simply beautiful.



Flatcolor gallery had some comic book related stuff which I went out of my way to see. Maybe I'm just a nerd, but I really dug that work. I would recommend going there simply because the guy working at the desk was so incredibly nice and helpful, if for no other reason.






























My friend Ethan wanted to look at children's books, and we ran out of galleries, so that night I went to a bookstore and got Blankets. I've just started reading it. We also went to a toy store and got kicked out for sitting around and not buying anything.



Then came Sunday, and with it, Emerald City ComiCon. We got out tickets and were in line by nine, at my request. I kept having nightmares the night before that I'd missed the signing I'd come for. Seriously. I'm ridiculous.
Anyway, here's a guy dressed up as Deadpool.



Normally I don't judge nerds in costume. I can dig it. I don't think I'd ever dress up for a convention, because that means having my time taken up with people asking for pictures with me. For instance, I have a Gir suit, but I didn't bring it.
That being said, this guy was creepy. He was explaining his origin story and trying to sound like the character, failing miserably. This is a man best left alone, without human contact, because I truly fear the crazy might be contagious.



And, as promised, some pictures of my loot. Not all of it is from ECCC ( 3 of the little zines were from a gallery by our hotel, and I already owned Jellyfist and the Zim DVD) but still. That's lots of stuff. I've got lots of reading to do. And seeing as it's being asked for, reviews are forthcoming.
























Our last day in Seattle included no galleries for me. I took a tour of the underground and then went to the Rock and Roll/Science fiction museum. I actually think some of the best art I saw the whole trip were the photographs in the Rock and Roll Museum. Plus it was in a Frank Gehry building, which is defiantly some amazing artwork in itself.

Then came the long drive home. It was a really great trip.





And since it's better to get it posted than hide it so it can be used as blackmail, I'm in the middle left, playing the tambourine at the Rock and Roll museum's photo-shoot area. Ethan's on the far left, Scott, our painting and drawing professor, is right next to me, and Holly, one of my sleep-talking/walking roommates for the trip is on the right. That's it until next time, internet. I'll be seeing you. Or at least writing words at you.

No comments:

Post a Comment