Friday, September 30, 2011

Things

If everyone could just pretend I posted this an hour earlier and it was still September and I hadn't missed any months in my plan to blog at least every month this year, that'd be great.

Anyway, things are good. I guess. I've actually been having a really hard time being the new kid in a big city along with other more personal problems that I'll probably just share along with artwork about them, but it's getting better. At least, today was better. I drew a little comic, and that helped a lot. I've basically been working on this one project that was due on Tuesday for the last 11 hours. Finally getting something done with that was also good. Though I did have a bit of a breakdown and started sobbing at the train station around 4 this afternoon, things have improved some.

I've done some art, but haven't taken many pictures of said art. This photopolymer that I've been working on all day is what I thought I might post here for the month, but it's not done. Obviously. Thus the procrastination of blogging.

So the only piece I have a picture of is this one print that I started the semester off with and don't like much.


So this crappy crooked cell phone picture is of a print that I did about what I felt like I was doing for the summer by working for the government. I'm pretty far to the left politically, and it makes me sad that my country has a huge organization devoted to killing people. However, I know this is not how everyone feels, and I do not think any less of anyone who disagrees with me. Although that's what I believe, it's not something I generally find necessary to argue about. I don't think politics are worth offending people over, so I don't make art abut them usually, and I even try to avoid talking about them nowadays. This is why I don't like this piece. I feel like I can do better. I feel like I have more important things to say.

Technically speaking, though, I am proud of it. That's more colors than I've ever done in a single print before. It's pretty dang clean, and the registration's pretty decent for how quick I pulled it out. My favorite thing about it though is the colors. I sort of made them up as I went along, and doing the proof with these colors, everything seemed to be getting worse and worse. They looked awful together. They were all just garish and wrong, and I was sure that I would have to re mix all my ink, which really sucked. Then I pulled the keyblock. And with that black outline, magically, everything worked.

Printmaking is magic.

2 comments:

  1. If i told you to just keep soldiering on, you'd throw things at me wouldn't you?

    Stick with it kiddo, tough times pass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naw, I'd never throw things at you. And I'll take your advice. I'm sure things will get better.

    Also, thanks for coming here and not only reading my little blog, but commenting on it too! You Whitechapel peeps are just grand, I must say. You've put up with a whole lot of me complaining lately. And I really really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete