Tuesday, July 26, 2011

This month

I said I was gonna do a blog every month this year, and dang it, it's gonna happen.

So, this month has been lacking in the art department mostly. Though for a little while I've been working on this.


It will, hopefully, someday be a finished 50 page comic. Unlike my last comic project, I'm trying not to rush it, and am paying attention to things like consistency and perspective. Distance Makes the Heart Grow Fonder was just a working title at first, but it'll probably stick. It's all autobiographical like February 4th was, though it covers a lot more time, and of course has a different structure.


Distance is a word and idea that's been on my mind an awful lot lately. I just got out of a long distance relationship, and I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. But there's also other things that have reminded me what a difference a few miles can make.

My little brother is gone to work about 4-5 hours drive away, while I work and live with my parents for the summer. My best friend just got her mission call and will be preaching in Michigan for the next year and a half. I just became pen pals with an internet friend from Canada. I'll also continue writing every three weeks or so to the boy I miss so much for another year. I've been working with an old childhood friend for the summer. I went to a figure drawing class with an artist friend this weekend who I only really talked to once before, nearly a year ago. My sister just visited another sister and her kids in Ohio, who I haven't seen in a year and a half. I feel like I have two homes, and I'm waiting for school to start so I can get to the one I want to be in, but 3 weeks feels so far away.

Everything and everyone feels so far away. Distance distance distance.

The title of this comic is just something Alva told me before we attempted the long distance relationship, and it just was so wrong and awful. But for some reason, though the distance added onto other problems for us and was the final straw in breaking all of that apart, it really has made me so much fonder of so many other things I'm missing.

I miss everyone so much.

I remember when I was little when a friend would move, I knew I was never going to see them again. Even if it was just across Dugway, I lost friends when I lost convenience. It's the same now, if I don't see someone's updates on Facebook, I don't know what's going on in their life. Though we have the semblance of communication, there's no effort. It's a lazy sort of love that I'm getting tired of. Even with some of my best friends, I don't have any real correspondence. Whether it's lack of a car or lack of time or anything else, no excuse is really good enough.

I just want everyone to be close.

I want to wake up next to someone I love every morning. I want to just be able to walk across the street to play Barbies with my friends again. I want to go to the studio and find all my favorite people sitting and talking and making art. I wanted to be hugged until I can't stand it anymore.

Summertime is so lonely.

Distance makes the heart grow fonder. I'm not sure if that's true or if it's one of those lies we tell ourselves to feel better. Probably a little of both. But I feel like I'm fond enough of the idea of being happy. I just want it to be closer now.

No comments:

Post a Comment