Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Spaces


This is a piece called "Spaces" that I did for my letterpress class. It's 2 photopolymer plates and a blind embossment of text (which you can't see), printed in an edition of 45. It's been done for a bit, but we just got them back and did an exchange of our broadsides today.

The assignment was to respond to an artist who does letterpress or bookwork. I chose Julie Chen. More specifically, I was responding to a line of text in her book "Panorama".

"Leave a space for the things that are gone so they will not be forgotten."

Something in that sentence that really inspired me. It almost made me cry the first time I read it.

The piece was first sketched out with the full quote, and the lone figure in the bed that you see a version of on the middle left. Originally, it was pretty obviously me. But after a really good discussion with my teachers about it, I changed it to be less about me, and more about an overall feeling that is shared throughout the human race. It was helpful, and I ended up with a much more successful piece because of this suggestion.

It was different for me. My work is generally so heavily autobiographical. And it still is here, but it's also more accessible, which I like. It's just hard for me to think this way on my own. I'm going to miss the sort of response and help I get with my art in school when I'm done.

I'd go on, but it's finals week, and I have tons of work to do.

2 comments:

  1. The Julie Chen line is powerful in its self but what you've done with it - well i don't want to over analyse and i'm a bit tired after a long day at work (yes, on a Sunday) - lets just say it was like being hit by a pallet of bricks. I can see myself in it a few times, it's blown on the embers of some old memories and raised some sparks. I'd best leave it there before i get all tangled up in metaphor. It works and it's good and that's enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when Whitechapel folks make their way over here.
    Thank you so much. It means so much to get such kind words.
    I have a few extra, if you'd like one for your wall. Email me at trishelle_jeffery at yahoo dot com, and we could work out some sort of deal, if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete